Thursday, July 10, 2008

lauren.

happy thursday morning to you. on this blessed, sunny morning- my beautiful daughter walked into my room and informed me that i need to wash her sheets. "an accident?" i ask. she replies "not so much." the light through the curtains allows me to see that her skin appears raw and red.
"what happened?" i sit straight up in bed.

"not much" she replies calmly, yet sheepishly.

"lauren elise...what is up?"

"my ice pack melted, and my sheets are all wet."

(lauren needs an ice pack for one thing or another almost every night.)

"no big deal..i will wash them today."


fast forward 20 minutes. i am now showered and dressed and retrieving my coffee from the freezer. sitting on top of my coffee is a soggy, drippy plastic bag of pureed beets. my stomach contracts.

"lauren....is this what you used for an ice pack?"

"yeah, it melted..."

i can see that. i slowly descend the stairs to assess the damage. though beets on an almost new bedding set does have a lovely color...it is a mess like you have not seen in your life. drips on the carpet. soaked through to the mattress. spread out over the sheets, pillowcases and comforter.

"f.y.i. lauren. beets are not an ice pack."

"but it's my favorite color!"

"that's great...because i am guessing it will be here for a bit."

so help me, child.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

When I see your blog's updated, I just know it's going to be something completely off the wall and hilarious to boot. You should write a book of all these funny little incidents and have someone do illustrations. It would fly off the shelves.

Jen said...

Wow, blue glue and now purple beats. Your house is on the fast track to being rainbow colored.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott, Stacy, Maddie, Elle and Lola said...

oh my word... never a dull moment at your house! I am a little puzzled by the fact that your coffee is in the freezer...

gracie said...

You definitely should have posted a picture with this post!

hartcentral said...

I keep my coffee grounds in the freezer because they stay fresh longer and the flavor seems to stay longer, IMO.

I was not in the mood to photograph the beet bliss.

Emily said...

Uh, why do you have beets in your freezer? I don't think I've ever eaten beets in my life. Please post your beet-requiring recipe.

The Sloterbeeks said...

Ya so why do you have pureed beats any way?
DMS

Jen said...

There is something fun for you at my blog. Check it out.

hartcentral said...

the beets are in the freezer (along with squash, spinach, etc.) because I slip them into my meals from time to time to increase the vegtable intake of the wee ones.

Thanks Jen!!

Scott, Stacy, Maddie, Elle and Lola said...

Lindsay, check my blog... just posted something good for you! :)